Sonship Part 1
Author: Pastor John Mulungu
Key Scripture: Galatians 4v6 & 1 Corinthians 4v15-17
1.) DEFINITION OF SONSHIP:
a) Sonship is the relationship of a son to a father.
b) Sonship is the divine covenant of a son to a father
c) A son is a man in relationship with his father
d) A son is someone who is mature in mind and in spirit.
N.B: Sonship is the covenant between a son and a father.
-> Sonship is not a contract that can expire one day. You can break a contract but not a covenant because a covenant is forever.
-> Therefore you can’t change a spiritual father (This relationship is forever), even if you are in America or other places don’t change your spiritual father (1 Corinthians 4v15-17).
-> You can have many Teachers or Mentors but you only have one father.
- Not everyone is your spiritual father
- My son Gershom can go to America but I will remain his father. Not because he changed the country that now he must change the father.
- If he is still alive there is no change.
- Many people as they change countries, areas, they also change fathers.
2.) WHO IS YOUR SPIRITUAL FATHER
The word father means source.
A spiritual father is someone who imparts you with 4 things:
a.) His spirit
b.) His grace
c.) His teaching
d.) His word of prophecy
- It is not necessarily the one who brought you to Jesus Christ or who baptized. (2Timothy 1v5). Timothy was brought by his mother to Jesus Christ but Paul became hisspiritual father.
NB: Not every Pastor is your spiritual father
- You are not destined to be in any church.
3.) WHY IN THE CHURCH WE ARE ALL SONS BUT NOT DAUGHTERS?
a.) This is because according to Hebrew culture, in a mixed group of male and female they only
b.) It is because we have all received the Spirit God’s Son Jesus Christ and this Spirit makes us count men not women. All of us we are bothers or brethrens. sons (Galatians 4v1).
4.) DIFFERENT BETWEEN CHILDREN AND SONS
a.) A child is a small baby who doesn’t know his rights yet.
b.) A son someone who is mature and big enough to know his rights.
c.) A child is born but a son is given. A son is a gift for God. You need to reach in the level where
- God loved the world that He gave His only Son not a child (John 3v16).
5.) YOU DON’T CHOOSE A SPIRITUAL FATHER BY YOURSELF BUT GOD CHOOSES FOR YOU
1 Corinthians 12v18 & Acts 9v10-12 you become a son, I mean when you become a gift and useful in the house of God.
N.B: a.) Paul didn’t choose Ananias as his spiritual father but God chose for him (Acts 9v10-12).
b.) Elisha didn’t choose Elijah as his spiritual father but God chose for him (1 Kings 19v16).
- We don’t choose a spiritual father because he has money or because of color, tribe or nationality or because he is a big pastor.
- You didn’t chose your biological parents or the family you are born into, otherwise a lot of people would have chosen to be born into the presidents.
R.M.Q: Sons can do greater works more than their fathers.
E.g: Elisha and Elijah: Elisha doubled the miracles that his spiritual Father Elijah did.
Paul and Ananis: Paul did greater works but you don’t hear any work done by Ananias